Thursday, May 1, 2014

March

Instead of sharing my experiences in Cote d’Ivoire (which you have read a lot about) I wanted to share someone else’s experiences. So, I video interviewed Koné Sétiéhoué Noé aka my host dad. However, like a good Ivorian he answered every question so thoroughly, with dates and everything, that each clip is about 10 minutes long. So instead of sending you the video clips I have summarized his story here…

{Disclaimer: This is a very different testimony than those I heard growing up, but I hope it’ll be good for you as you enter into prayer for our Ivorian brothers and sisters. This type of testimony is not rare here in Cote d’Ivoire.}

“I was born into a Senoufo family in Karakpo, Cote d’Ivoire. I was the second son from my father’s second wife, and I was the favorite child.

So, instead of sleeping in my mother’s house (each wife get’s her own house where she raises her kids) I was the only child who slept in my father’s house. My father was a tough man, not only was he a veteran of WWII, but he was a man deeply involved in animism. And I was the one who was supposed to take the family’s entire mystical knowledge.

By age eleven, I felt like a god because of my mystical knowledge. I feared no one and even tried to provoke my brothers who had become Christian. But my father did caution me that the God my brothers adored was powerful. That phrase stuck with me…

When I was a little older, a boy from the fields sent a bad spell to me in the form of a scorpion who bit me. But more than the pain of the bite was the sting of defeat. I was very discouraged that someone was stronger spiritually than me. So I asked my brother for advice. My brother stated that the only way to be secure spiritually was to follow Jesus, because He was the most powerful.

And because of this I followed Jesus.

When I joined the church in my village there was no more than fifteen people there, and my brother’s made up eight of those. Trials came. My grandmother put poison in my water. Later, the village poro (the animistic brotherhood) tried to challenge us to physical battle. But Jesus was truly powerful.”

My host dad's church in Karakpo


The goal of Journey Corps is to build relationships. Knowing my host dad here has really been a blessed experience. God’s kingdom is coming, and I get glimpses of it now when I think of the love that exists between my host family and me. We had never even thought of each other a year ago but now we pray for each other and support each other in this life until God’s plan is complete. How cool is that? 

1 comment:

  1. Bonsoir Katie , j'aimerais que tu aille faire un tour dans mon village
    c'est N"deou c'est à 65 kilomètre de Boundiali ville à 25 Kilomètres après Kouto et 25 kilomètre également avant Shankala
    j'ai mon oncle labas qui represente la famille TRAORE chez nous les Dioulabas il S'Appelle Moulaye Traore il à son Atelier de Couture juste devant la rentrée de chez nous
    tu salue sa femme Sita Dao qui m'a rendu beaucoup de service les deux mois que j'ai passée labas de Janvier à Mars 2014
    Merci pour tout le service que tu rends au Boundialika

    ReplyDelete